Thursday, January 1, 2015

The Last One

Tomorrow I'm shooting my last wedding...for at least a year, possibly ever. I would be remiss if it didn't make me a little nostalgic, a little introspective, and a lot reminiscent. I looked up my "stats", if you will, of these last 6 years: 32 weddings and 18 engagement sessions...or in photography terms, approximately 470 shooting hours and well over 1200 editing hours. (That's a lot of editing, my friends)

There are other numbers that I don't have to look up or calculate...5 100+ degree days, 4 churches with no air conditioning, 3 torrential downpours, 3 weddings during the 2011 flood, 1 wedding guest fender bender, 1 party bus backing into my truck. (yes, that happened!)

Mostly what I'm left with are the things, the memories, for which there is no number...meeting a couple for the first time, hearing their story, and having them invite me into their world on one of the biggest days of their lives; getting to know their friends and families, joking with Dad and offering to buy him a drink if he will pretty please just smile for the family photos; the first looks, the nerves, the joy, the laughter, the tears; the sorrow at those whose passing meant they couldn't be there that day; the looks on the faces of parents and grandparents as the couple says their vows; the relief when the ceremony is over; and my favorite, the laughing-drinking-toasting-dancing of the reception.

There are, of course, things I won't miss (that's a whole other blog post, honey!), but the thing I will miss most has to be the incredible couples I get to meet and spend time with each season, and in many cases, the friendships that have remained long after the wedding day. To all of my couples - thank you, from the bottom of my heart, for trusting me with such an important part of your lives. I have loved getting to do this for the last 6 years.

Here's to tomorrow's couple - Leah and Tommy. It's a great one to go out on - let's make it epic! :)




No comments:

Post a Comment